Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Why Pulp Fiction is the Best Goddamn Movie Ever.

     I would love to just be able to say "Pulp Fiction. Nuff said", but that would not do the film justice at all. This film blows my mind every single time I watch it, no matter what the occasion. From witty, fast talking characters to gruesome action that just keeps your eyes glued to the screen. This film never fails to please(and the fact that this was released on my birth year makes it more awesome). I'm not going to have any spoilers on this because that would be a dick move to anyone who has not watched it.
First off, the movie is not in chronological order, so the delivery of the story stays fresh throughout as you try to figure out just what the hell is going on. With these stories come incredible characters played by several great actors like Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson and other awesome actors. So, prepare to learn why you should watch this movie if you haven't yet.
"Watch this movie."
   The movie takes place in L.A. and the story revolves around miscellaneous characters that happen to be related to each other in some way.  .Every scene has a great atmosphere that helps keep you in the moment no matter what distractions you may have. It doesn't matter if you start the movie from the beginning or you start from the middle, because the films' being out of order makes it feel fresh at any point in time as if it where a new story every time. The music also plays a vital role in this and it surprised me just how well it was synchronized with the scenes. As each scene continued the music just fused with it and drew me in closer. Now, I have boners for movies with awesome soundtracks and this one takes the cake because you can't listen to the soundtrack without watching the movie. They go hand in hand so well that without one the other just is not the same.
"Seriously. Watch this movie."
     I would love so much to quote the hell out of the best scenes in "Pulp Fiction" but I would have to type out the whole script so this brings me to the dialogue. The characters' personalities all feel amazingly unique and memorable. As I watched, I held on to every word a character said because what they said gave me a sense of who they were and I felt as if I had known them my whole life. A few minutes was all it took to make me feel like these characters were real. They were funny when they were serious and they were serious when they were funny. Every line delivered was so perfectly timed you could swear they were real people, with real problems that pull you in and make you feel sympathetic towards their dilemmas.
"Even if those dilemmas might include killing people."
     Lets not forget the editing to top this recommendation off. Of course the editing is the most important part of any film(in my opinion), but "what is it?" you say makes this film's camerawork so special? When each scene is played out you don't see the camera going all over the place. You don't see it in any uncomfortable angles. The scenes are presented in a way that makes you feel as if you are in the scene with the characters. It doesn't zoom in at random points, and the camera is never to far from where it's supposed to be. Basically,  the most comfortable viewing experience I experience is watching this movie without having to focus too much on surroundings, because it only focuses on the characters and what is happening to them.
     The fact that this was Quentin Tarantino's second film is impressive on it's own, but it was so great it is still recognized today. It's definitely influenced me as an actor because it has taught me what it takes to step up and become a truly unique character. This film has inspired me time and time again to use the best of my imagination as well as my ability when I approach things.
"Hmm, I guess violence DOES get things done."
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch it for the second time in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment